Saturday, 11 August 2012
Update: Colour Scheme Reminder
So I got back after a couple of months away this week, and to cut a long story short having been away for so long it had given me lots of time to critique the model I had settled on before I left and make minor tweaks to the scheme. (yes its another test model, but honestly I am done now, half a squad are already part painted like this and now I'm back the fun finally starts.)
3 things I wanted to address:
It kind of looked a bit dull
It was too many layers to paint on mass for my attention span
The khaki was quite dark
While I take back what I said in a previous post (I have realised I will never be totally happy!) he looks spot on to me now. The brass on the gun and lighter metal helps him stand out, where as the trousers were quick and easy to do and look better I think and the khaki highlight is obvious and makes a big difference.
So this post needed updating to help me remember and for anyone's interest.
Good news is I wrote lots of background as I could do little else and will be polishing that and drip feeding it to you soon. Lots of painting to do, but first need to clean my hobby room up so I have space to work, great to be back as much as I love my job. Here's the guy, hastily painted in a day so not a great standard, but finally feel I nailed it.
The Khaki is: Rakarth Flesh, wash of slightly watered Devlan Mud, then Karak Stone, then a highlight of Karak Stone/Skull White mix (Roughly 3 to 1 parts).
Green: Caliban Green, Black Wash, then Castellan Green.
Brown: Simply Mournfang, Black Wash, more Mournfang.
Metal: Boltgun Metal, Black Wash, Drybrush Chainmail.
Gold: Mournfang Brown, Shining Gold (Gehenna's), Burnished Ggold, Sepia Wash to dull (except badge and belt buckle).
Base: Scorched Brown (Rhinox), Drybrush Calthan Brown, then XV-88, finally Zandri Dust.
The long grass is Swamp Tuft from Army Painter, the smaller Middenland Tuft. I'll use these two as the main grass throughout the whole army, with some other effects on some models for variety (maybe some of the leaves, new barbed wire etc.). I have tree stumps for 60mm bases.